CLIENT: BBC Worldwide, Top Gear
MY INVOLVEMENT: Creative Designer, UI/UX, Art Direction
- Full Involvement from initial pitch work to the end product
- Managing a small group of designers through the research and ideation stages
- Working alongside the Editor in Chief of Top Gear magazine and the rest of the BBC creative team throughout the duration of the project (both at Brand42 and in house at the BBC studios)
- Sharing responsibility of each design stage in an Agile process with the other designers involved
- Involvement within creative strategy and UX for the site
- Art Direction of a promotional showreel to be used as a sales tool for future advertising clients
MY TEAM: Agostina Ciccone (Designer), Nick Quinn (UX Designer)
AWARDS: W3 Awards 2015 (Silver), Lovie Awards 2015 (Bronze)
BBC Worldwide approached Brand42 to redesign the most popular motoring platform in the world, Top Gear.
Our challenge was to drive TopGear.com into the "21st Century" by redesigning a site that opened new revenue streams through total brand alignment. The big idea was to take the Top Gear website beyond the technicality of car reviews and inspire the user through an enriched user journey. Having achieved this we showed that Top Gear is a site that offers more than just car reviews, it also inspires a whole motoring lifestyle to immerse yourself into. We were also intent on emphasising the boisterous and cheeky tone of voice which is quintessential to Top Gear.
Using Agile methodologies, we worked in a 'one team' approach to create a fully responsive site which aimed to boost advertising revenue for BBC Worldwide and radically broaden its already vast audience. We added a refined video hub, an extensive car review database and a 'Big Read' functionality, along with many other features. We topped it off with parallax effects to enrich content pages and create a layered experience.
Charlie Turner, Editor-in-Cheif, BBC Top Gear Magazine, said: "Brand42 has brought the right mix of technological know-how and brand expertise, coupled with a unique, creative approach that I believe will deliver the website that the Top Gear audience has been waiting for".